Check out all the ways you can help support the Redford Township Historical Commission!

Artifact Donations

The Redford Township Historical Commission gladly accepts donations of photographs, objects, manuscripts, and other records relating to the history of Redford which does not duplicate part of our current collection. If you would like to make a donation, please contact us or visit us in person during our open hours. We will ask you to fill out a deed of gift agreement. The deed of gift agreement allows us to keep administrative control of our collections and shows proof of ownership and copyright if applicable. Because we are a small entity, 99% of the time we will only accept items that have a significant history to Redford (as opposed to Michigan or Wayne County). The other 1% of the time our donations pertain to “Old Redford” which was annexed to Detroit in the 1920’s.

If you want to get ahead of the game, please check out our sample donation form here.

Monetary Donations

Financial donations are always appreciated. Preserving artifacts and maintaining the building can be costly. Our goal is to help make Redford’s history come alive for generations to come. Cash and check donations are accepted at the museum or by mail. They can be made payable to “Redford Township Historical Commission” or to an individual Board Member.

We also have publications, shirts, buttons, ornaments, magnets, yearbooks, and maps available for purchase as well.

Wish List

  1. Due to the increased demand for Historic Maps of Redford, we currently could use shipping tubes (poster-size).
  2. Book shelves and/or display shelves/cases so we can better organize our museum and display exhibits.
  3. We are also looking to complete our High School Yearbook Collection. The current dates we are missing are:

Volunteer

If you are available for one hour a year or several hours a week, we have something for everyone. Opportunities include exhibit set-up and/or take down, data entry (cataloging with PastPerfect), special projects or event assistance, historical research, et cetera. Contact us for more information. This is a great way to give back to the community and help preserve Redford history! (It also is a great way for students to get those National Honor Society hours and looks great on a resume)

Visit

Visitors rock! We are officially open two days of every month (the first and third Saturday) but will be open by appointment or for special meetings/events. Stop by, view some of our awesome collections, and join us in reminiscing about Redford’s past. If you grew up in Redford, we’d love if you shared your story with us.

The Redford Historical Commission Board consists of seven positions, elected by the Township, for a period of three years. We are always looking for fun, historical enthusiasts to join our board. Our goal in the future is to create public membership for support, as well as reestablish the Redford Township Historical Society (a non-profit partner organization).

Attend one of our special events throughout the year. Contact us for more information on how you can become involved today!