Newly opened collection: The Sybil and Jack Raeside Papers

In an interview with the Redford Observer in 2005 on the event of her 90th birthday, Sybil Raeside reflected on many of her life experiences. One was her first trip to Redford in 1929. She visited a drug store and tea room on the corner of 5 Mile and Beech Daly. At the time, Beech … Continue reading Newly opened collection: The Sybil and Jack Raeside Papers

Advertisements
Dr. Serena Shivers

Dr. Sarena Shivers, Redford Union Schools Superintendent

Dr. Sarena Shivers came to Redford in 2015 to lead the Redford Union School District. She’s making history as the first black Superintendent of the district. Shivers has worked in education for over 20 years, including for Washtenaw Intermediate School District, Southfield Public Schools and districts in Indiana, Maryland and the Department of Defense. Thus … Continue reading Dr. Sarena Shivers, Redford Union Schools Superintendent

An Early Redford Doctor and Holcomb Elementary

When construction began on Holcomb Elementary School in 1925, it sat within the boundaries of Redford Township. Before it opened in 1926, however, it became part of Detroit Schools. The school was named for Samuel Drayton Holcomb, who was born in North Pelham, Ontario in 1857. Samuel married Annie Winn Lackie in 1880, and around that … Continue reading An Early Redford Doctor and Holcomb Elementary

The Fisher Family and Fisher Elementary School

   In the mid-1800s, Redford had 10 school districts. As rail construction attracted more and more residents to the area after the turn of the century, District 9 decided it was time to replace and improve upon its small wooden schoolhouse. The District bought an acre of land from Eugenius and Abigail Hodge for $100. Eugenius … Continue reading The Fisher Family and Fisher Elementary School

Annexation: A Promise of Paved Streets and Inside Toilets (Part II)

This is part II on the Annexation of Redford -- see Part I here. Popular sentiment in Redford leaned heavily toward annexation to Detroit by 1925, but only a vote could make it happen. As of March 5, 1925, Redford contained 244 subdivisions and 55,000 individual pieces of property. Detroit architects Verner, Wilhem and Molby created … Continue reading Annexation: A Promise of Paved Streets and Inside Toilets (Part II)